Re: [uCsimm] Built 2.4 but booting gives Attempted to kill init

From: Chris Allen (chris@cjx.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 12:46:56 EST

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:37:52PM -0800, Alex Perry wrote:
> > [...]
> > VFS: Mounted root (romfs filesystem) readonly.
> > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>
> The kernel has booted, mounted the filesystem image,
> and started init without problems, I would assert that
> the kernel and the filesystem independently are ok.

I managed to fix it by downloading and compiling a later
version of the kernel sources.

However this has left me with another problem!

The following simple program:

---------------------------

#include <asm/MC68EZ328.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        PDSEL |= 0x01;
}

compiles fine, but when run crashes the ucSimm back
to its monitor with an "access fault"

This is so for any code that attempts to access the IO ports
directly. However a simple puts("hello world"); compiles and
executes just fine...

Am I missing something in my kernel config? Or should I be
setting the board into supervisor mode?

Looks like I've got a long way to go :-(