Re: [uCsimm] HV capacitors on the LAN transformer

From: Curt Wuollet (wideopen@ecenet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 20:25:57 EDT

That's a gap cap. I believe it's designed to arc before punching through
the dielectric.

Regards

cww

Daniel Haensse wrote:

> Am Don, 16 Aug 2001 schrieben Sie:
> >
> > > Right, but in this case they also want AC signals to be coupled. If I can
> > find
> > > one of those network cards with this "movacitors" on it, I'll send a
> > picture to
> > > you.
> >
> > Of course, you're right. I shot my mouth off when I wrote that instead of
> > reading over it before hitting ^Enter. :-(
>
> I have found one of the "movacitors". I've been wrong, it is between the BNC
> connector and GND of the Ethernet card. It looks like a capacitor and it has a
> gab on the top, about a length of 3mm (cutting the capacitor into two pieces in
> the middle from the top). It has a "RMC 2-3kV" print on it and is called Cxx.
> Anybody any idea what this part is really called?
>
> The RJ45 connector just has normal 3kV capacitors (for the cirrus logic it is
> 2kV, see Application note 83). No resistor, MOV, nothing else.
>
> Dani

Free Tools!
Machine Automation Tools (LinuxPLC) Free, Truly Open & Publicly Owned
Industrial Automation Software For Linux. mat.sourceforge.net.
Day Job: Heartland Engineering, Automation & ATE for Automotive
Rebuilders.
Consultancy: Wide Open Technologies: Moving Business & Automation to
Linux.