Re: [uCsimm] HV capacitors on the LAN transformer

From: Daniel Haensse (
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 07:53:02 EDT

Am Don, 16 Aug 2001 schrieben Sie:
> > > Those ain't caps then, they're MOVs. Standard static / overvoltage
> > > protection circuitry.
> > Right, but in this case they also want AC signals to be coupled. If I can
> find
> > one of those network cards with this "movacitors" on it, I'll send a
> picture to
> > you.
> Of course, you're right. I shot my mouth off when I wrote that instead of
> reading over it before hitting ^Enter. :-(

I have found one of the "movacitors". I've been wrong, it is between the BNC
connector and GND of the Ethernet card. It looks like a capacitor and it has a
gab on the top, about a length of 3mm (cutting the capacitor into two pieces in
the middle from the top). It has a "RMC 2-3kV" print on it and is called Cxx.
Anybody any idea what this part is really called?

The RJ45 connector just has normal 3kV capacitors (for the cirrus logic it is
2kV, see Application note 83). No resistor, MOV, nothing else.

This message resent by the list server

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Sun Apr 07 2002 - 00:01:43 EST