RE: [uCsimm] Pinouts for serial cable & Orientation of Red Tantal um

From: Ryan.HARKIN@syntegra.com
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 11:41:41 EDT

Reading the message below, I would have expected pins 2,3 and 5 to be the
serial port pins on my uCgardener. All of my serial cables are wired as
2,3,5.

However, I am having to use pins 1, 3 and 4 (1 is GND).

Can someone explain this? The only explanation I could come up with is that
I installed the 9 way male connector on the wrong side of the board, but I
installed it on the "top", just like it is in the photos shown in the
uClinux handbook!

It isn't a problem now that I know, but it took me a while to figure it out
- I thought that I had a dead module. Instead, I now have a "special"
uCgardener serial cable.

As for the orientation of that red tantalum... I have serious words about
that.... the writing on the cap DOES NOT FACE THE CENTER OF THE PCB. It
faces the DB9; away from the uCsimm socket; away from the center of the pcb,
in my opinion. It neither faces the RJ45 nor vice versa because it is
perpendicular to it. Luckily I have a hardware engineer to hand or I could
have been in trouble.

Lineo, please update the documentation that comes with the uCgardener!!!!

On an happy note, thanks to the help I have been given here, I have my
uCsimm & gardener up and running. The packages are all installed on my PC
and I am now the proud user of uClinux on a real embedded target.

Cheers,
Ryan.

>Are you using the uCgardener?
>DB9 pin 2 is RSTXD and pin 3 is RSTXD. pin 5 is GND
>Which allows a straight through DB9 --- DB9 cable to connect to the Serial
>Port on a Linux PC (is there another kind?).

This email may contain information which is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify the sender immediately and delete it without reading, copying, storing, forwarding or disclosing its contents to any other person
Thank you

Check us out at http://www.syntegra.com