Re: [uCsimm] Memory leak caused by fopen

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 22:07:54 EDT

David Beckemeyer wrote:

> I can't see how the 'new' uClibc can fix mmap() (other than
> by a workaround like the memory carving that my patches to
> simple-malloc perform).

Hi David,

The current uClibc is a totally new build (not a rewrite) of the
functionality of the old libc. The interest here is to provide a
uC-libc that is licensable as LGPL, there were some parts of the libc
that were GPL. Also, some of the "anomolies" of the libc have been
addressed. These guys are hotly involved with the development of the
uClibc and will be concerned about a memory leak (my impression of
their dedication to a 'good' library').

IMHO, an LGPL library is in the best interest of forwarding the use of
uClinux, a GPL one is going to cause problems in having uClinux accepted
by the companies concerned with their proprietary apps.