Re: [uCsimm] Re: Red Hat 7.1 using uClinux CD install, 2.0.38pre5

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 16:59:11 EDT

Geoffrey Wossum wrote:

> Hopefully in the near future the kernel will be gcc 2.95/3.0 compliant and
> we won't need the two compilers.

Geoffrey,

It is a bit frustrating.. I have another server that I am putting
together for a customer that needs na ISDN link onto the 'net. So, I
installed Mandrake 8.0, as I needed aha1542 scsi support (and the system
refuses to find the controller), I decided to compile the aha1542 + SCSI
into the kernel. I changed the linux Makefile to say that the 'HOSTGCC
= kgcc', the 'make dep; make clean; make install' works fine, but I get
crazy errors printed out when I attempt a 'make modules'!

Like I said, the RedHat versions are badly broken and really are not
usable (by me anyway). I am afraid that I will have to drop back to the
Mandrake 7.2 with a 2.2.19 kernel to make this server work (I hope).

In my former life as a Corporate developer, we used to have what was
nicknamed 'tar & feather reports' where we could honestly, publically,
roast some boneheaded decision that was made by engineering.. Where can
I post my OSS TFR?