Re: [uCsimm] Re: Red Hat 7.1 using uClinux CD install, 2.0.38pre5

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 16:50:39 EDT

Geoffrey Wossum wrote:

> Make sure you're using egcs 1.1.1 when trying to compile the kernel. gcc
> (on RedHat 7.x at least) is gcc 2.96, a non-existant beta release which
> can't compile a Linux kernel. You need to set CC=kgcc to compile the
> kernel. RedHat 7.x should install a copy of egcs 1.1.1 as kgcc. You just
> have to make sure you use it.

Geoffrey,

Well, this is probably the "fix" that makes it work, but my position is
that the kernel sources came off of the ISO image and should be ready to
"rock 'n roll" with the developement environ that the distro gave me.
IF, I decide to pull another kernel off of kernel.org, then the onus is
on me to figure out that I need the kgcc. IMHO, the whole point of a
distro is that the whole package of kernel + utils + applications give
an environment in which you can "move forward" with to configure a
collective system.. e.g. the distro saves me the trouble of building an
basic environment that I can work from to mold it into a system that
fits my needs.

Kind of like getting PlayDoo (childs clay) ready to mold into shapes as
opposed to getting a box full of sand / powdered clay and then the
directions on how to mix it into something usefull...

Why is it that I would have to reach outside of a distro to make
customization of the default configuration work? Isn't the whole point
of a distro is to offer a particular perspective on how the base system
should be assembled and from that starting point we can make it suit our
own particular needs? If the distro is nothing more than a bunch of
files + an installer, then how is that going to serve anyone?

Not to be offensive, but, what is this, a game of "trivial persuit"?!