Re: [uCsimm] Re: Red Hat 7.1 using uClinux CD install, 2.0.38pre5

From: Geoffrey Wossum (gpw0341@omega.uta.edu)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 16:14:46 EDT

Tom,

> So far, I have installed the RedHat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 systems to try
> them out. On neither system was I able to successfully compile the 2.4
> kernel! As a result, I am staying away from the 2.4 installations for a
> while, until they have time to "mature" a bit. I have enough work to do
> than try to figure out why a default installation of Linux cannot
> compile its' own kernel!

Make sure you're using egcs 1.1.1 when trying to compile the kernel. gcc
(on RedHat 7.x at least) is gcc 2.96, a non-existant beta release which
can't compile a Linux kernel. You need to set CC=kgcc to compile the
kernel. RedHat 7.x should install a copy of egcs 1.1.1 as kgcc. You just
have to make sure you use it.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
gwossum@acm.org