Re: [uCsimm] Reducing memory footprint on uClinux-2.4.x

From: Bernhard Kuhn (kuhn@lpr.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 18:54:12 EST

Tom Walsh schrieb:

> Are you able to get up to a bash prompt and login?

Yes, the trick to use sh as init process
(cp src/bin/sh romdisk/sbin/init).

The real "init" doesn't work, but maybe it isn't
init's fault: init reads an executes /etc/rc properly,
prints /etc/issue and then nothing happens, although
/etc/inittab says "ttyS0:vt100:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0".

> You had mentioned
> some funnies with the serial console.

When a lot of output is produced, then you
can't see anymore what you have typed. Sometimes,
you can see what has been printed earlier
(maybe some kind of buffer overrun or ringbuffer
mess up?).
Sometimes the output is interrupted and then
continues when you press a key. It is possible
to restore the console when typing CTRL+C and
ENTER afterwards.

The double line output when doing "ls -al /dev"
was due to a bug in genromfs. Thanks to Jeff
pointing me to Matt's patch. (But i have to
admit i never tried it, because i am currently
using devfs that also fixes the problem).

> I am interested in getting the networking layer working,

Craig Peacock <Craig.Peacock at senet.com.au> posted,
that he has the cs8900 driver running, at least sort of:

cited from uclinux-dev:
> I ported the latest 2.3 CS8900 drivers across. I
> managed to get it to detect the interface and
> open it, but never did proceed in booting from NFS.
> I'll verify if it works with the userland
> utilities and if so I will release the patch.

For this reason, i decided to abort working on
the cs8900 driver, until Craig releases his code ..

> how can I help with what you are doing?

It would help a lot, if more userland stuff
would work: i.e. mount/umount would be
necessary to get NFS working in a one of
the next phases. But many of the userland
applications seem to be intended for 2.0.x.
There are many clashes with header files
and definitions. If you know (or somebody
else) knows a simple way arround it ...

> OR, how can I assist you without getting in your way? ;-)

You are welcome!
Just try to get some of the bleeding edges fixed :-)

Bernhard