Re: [uClinux-dev] Re: [uCsimm] Update: uClinux-2.4.x on uCsimm - flashable image

From: D. Jeff Dionne (jeff@lineo.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 10:59:18 EST

The problem is a bug in the version of genromfs shipped with the
uCsimm. It's a result of a feature added to genromfs (which has a
bug) that allows one to specify that the genromfs program should follow
a symbolic link insted of creating a synlink in the resulting romfs.

Only root can create device nodes. This functionality was added to
genromfs as a simple way to allow us to install a dev directory (or
anything else you didn't want to copy, for that matter) on the host
machine in one place and use a symlink to point to it from another.

The way (it is intended to) work is that one prepends an "@" to the name
of a symlink, genromfs follows the link and strips off the "@" (insted of
putting the symlink into the romfs). The bug is that 2 copies of what the
link points to are added to the resulting romfs. It's completely
harmless, but there is a patch floating around for it... I'll look around
and post it.

Again, it's harmless. That is to say that it will not cause any of the
devices or device nodes to misbehave. If console is misbehaving, that's
another bug entirely.

Cheers,