Re: [uCsimm] new subscriber

From: Ian Leonard (ileonard@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 16:47:51 EST

On 2001.03.28 16:05:14 +0100 John J. Cruz wrote:
> uCsimm user group,
>
> I'm a new subscriber to this mailing list. I was a user of Motorola's
> 68HC11. Simple microcontroller when compared to the 68EZ328

Likewise.

> DragonBall. The big advantage is the uClinux OS. I can only conjecture
> on how to use uClinux with the uCsimm.
>
> That is during developing my Linux workstation (Red Hat 6.2) would be
> connected to the uCsimm via its RS232 port. But:
>
> What environment do I install in the workstation?

When you say environment, do you mean gnome or KDE? If so it doesn't
matter.

> Do I code in C, compile (gcc?), and then download into the uCsimm?

You can, but I have one xterm logged in to the uCsimm (serial or
telnet). The ucsimm has your development directory mounted over
nfs. This means that you can cross compile your code on your
workstation and then run it from the other xterm. I don't know
if that explains it well so:

xterm 1. Use minicom or telnet to login to the uCsimm. Mount your
work stations development directory, cd to it and run you programs
from the workstation.

xterm 2. Change to your development directory and cross compile your
programs

> How does uClinux (in uCsimm) execute this new download program?

If you do as I indicate, you don't download it at all. When you
want to run a system without the network connection, you copy your
programs into an image of the filesystem, run a script that builds
a complete image for the flash and download that.

> Any DragonBall simulators?

I don't think you need one.

> What does the uCLinux CD-ROM from Lineo have that might answer some of
> the questions above?

Nearly everything. You can be up and running in an hour or so.

> The $300 kit by Lineo includes a host card. Is this card were the
> uCsimm mounts on (after assembly)? The kid does not seem to contain a
> power “brick”. Is this extra?

You need a regulated 4.5 - 6v supply.

> If I'm not mistaken, the RS 232 interface requires plus and minus
> voltages between 5vdc and 12vdc. The regulator included in the kit
> mention above I believe is only a positive linear regulator. How is the
> negative voltage achieved? (From the Linux workstation RS232 port plus &
> minus pins?))

Don't know, but it works. I just do the software. I could ask the hardware
guy here, but then I would have to admit that I don't really know what's
going on.

--
Ian Leonard
eMail: ileonard@ntlworld.com