Re: [uCsimm] NetBoot loader

From: daniel haensse (daniel.haensse@fhk.usz.ch)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 02:15:16 EST

Am Mon, 12 Mär 2001 schrieben Sie:
> Just wondering, has anybody configured their UCSIMM so that it
> knows to use DHCP and TFTP to perform a generic network boot?
>
> First, it would make development a lot easier for ram-based test
> because the network download is extremely fast and configurable.
>
> Second, suppose the TFTP download is configured to compare all
> the incoming data with the existing flash contents and reprogram
> as needed, to apply kernel and/or ROMFS image updates. Once this
> is complete, the system continues with a normal boot sequence.
>
> Third, it makes it a lot easier to develop and work with several
> modules simultaneously, because the serial cable morass is avoided.
>
> To convert a development module to production use, just disable
> the flag that does the netboot and the flash contents are already
> correct and the module will boot directly up as usual.
> Am I missing something here ?
No, I had the same idea some weeks ago. Serial download really sucks, because
I'm programming a device driver for dual-port communication. I think it is hard
to shrink the kernel to less than 300kb. This is wasted flash space after the
configuration, unless it possible to use the same image for programming and
application. This is a very good point in your idea. I could provide my
"bootstrap-flashprogramming" tool. The programming algorith is in C. The missing
pieces are DHCP server and DHCP client in uclinux. A net console would be fine
as well!

Dani

Dani