Re: [uCsimm] (no subject)

From: Erik Ratcliffe (erik@caldera.com)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 04:35:16 EST

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 09:20:32PM +1100, Michael J. Mitchell wrote:
> unsubscribe ucsimm

Exactly what is going on here? I can't begin to count how many of these
messages I've gotten over the past week. I can't understand how so many
people can be that clueless about how to unsubscribe to a mail list.
Didn't everyone receive a message when they first subscribed stating how
to unsubscribe?

May I suggest that a brief sentence on how to unsubscribe be added to each
mail footer? We had to do that at Caldera because people felt that the
form in which their unsubscribe message came from (and the address the
message was sent to) was open to individual interpretation and therefore
allowed them to send "unsubscribe" messages just about wherever they
wanted and have their subscription cancelled. (Even with the unsubscribe
instructions at the bottom of each message, I gather that people still
have no idea how to unsubscribe, but at least the problem is better now.)

Sorry, but there are only so many instances of unsubscribe messages that I
can take before I have to speak. This is ridiculous... There are more
"unsubscribe" messages coming from this list than messages with actual
content.

--
| (o)(o)      Erik Ratcliffe       |
|  \oo/      erik@caldera.com      |