Re: [uCsimm] The red 10uF tantalum capacitor

From: daniel haensse (daniel.haensse@fhk.usz.ch)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 05:11:27 EST

siemens marks electrolytics with an arrow to + instead of -. Alway look at the
ring mark around it. After you placed the elco have a second look. A 100uF
Siemens capacitor (only a small grenade ;-) blow up 20cm next to my ear and I
had a peep on the ear the whole day long.

Am Mit, 28 Feb 2001 schrieben Sie:
> Stu wrote:
> >
> > > Hi it is a Tantalum it will blow up reversed.(new boards only)
> >
> > COOL!!!
> >
> > This message resent by the ucsimm@uclinux.com list server http://www.uClinux.com/
>
> Yo Dude! Try this sometime with an Aluminum Electrolytic (say 4700uF), I
> have seen these things go off like mini-grenades and blow a hole in the
> side of an Aluminum chassis! This was in the "early daze" before they
> installed blow-plugs on the higher value caps (before that they scribed
> a rupture line, an X, across the top of the electrolytic ... sometimes
> it blew that way, sometimes it didn't :O ).
>
> Regards,
>
> TomW
>
> --
> Tom Walsh - WN3L - Embedded Systems Consultant
> 'www.openhardware.net', 'www.cyberiansoftware.com'
> "Windows? No thanks, I have work to do..."

Daniel Haensse

Klinik fuer Neonatologie

UniversitaetsSpital Zuerich

Frauenklinikstr. 10