[uCsimm] New ELF tools

From: David McCullough (davidm@lineo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 08:40:17 EST

Hi all,

Over the last few weeks I have been putting together Paul Dale's m68k-elf
compiler patches and a number of bits and pieces. I just thought I'd post
here before committing any of this to CVS to gauge some opinion.

Some of the changes provided are:

* binutils-2.10 and a gcc-2.95.2 C/C++ compiler for all m68k platforms that
  can build both the 2.0 and 2.4 kernels as well as applications.

* greater than 32k PIC code/data (there is a 16 bit GOT limit, approx.
  8000 entries in the GOT).

* fixes all the issues with initialised data etc in the coff-PIC compiler.

* changes to the kernel flat loader and elf2flt to support the above
  goodies and hopefully remove all endianess issues making porting easier.
  (still supports non-pic flat binaries, only the relocations have a
  more portable format than before).

We have been runing this tool chain for a while and it's very solid on a
wide range of apps/platforms/kernel versions, both PIC and non-PIC.

The biggest issue is that the binfmt_flat changes will break the existing
m68k-coff users who are running off cvs.uclinux.org (they will need the new
tools). Likewise, the ARM/SH folks will have to get the new elf2flt. Other
than that I expect it will be quite easy to convert.

Any major objections to commiting these changes ?

I'll put up binaries, source, doc and build instructions for the tool chain
as soon as the changes go into the kernel CVS trees.

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough:  Ph: +61 7 3435 2815  Lineo (The Embedded Solutions Company)
davidm@lineo.com   Fx: +61 7 3891 3630  PO Box 925, Kenmore QLD 4069, Australia