Re: [uCsimm] Changing special environment variables?

From: M. B. Anand (anand@ekasystems.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 18:07:00 EST

Joel,
I have had the same problem. According to the ucsimm manual, "if the
bootloader requires operator input, the console is initialized regardless of
the value of the CONSOLE." Even if AUTOBOOT is set to a number of seconds,
the bootloader still requires input because it is waiting if there is a
character. Now, if AUTOBOOT is set to yes and AUTOKEY is also set to
iknowmyimageworks then it would boot without delay and, presumably think
that no operator input is required. Note that this a dangerous thing to do,
if your boot image fails there is no way reset anything, although I do
remember seeing a message on this list a while ago to handle this situation.
Note also that the OS has to be informed separately also not to use the
serial port for printk. I hacked a couple of places to do this, I dont
remember imm'ly but I can dig it up if you want. It was some file under
arch/... where serial console is registered with printk.

Regards,
Anand.