[uCsimm] Changing special environment variables?

From: Joel Smith (jsmith-uclinux@jk1.net)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 14:18:06 EST

Hello,
I'm new to the list. I'm doing a university senior project using the uCsimm and
need to use the serial port for another device which doesn't want to see output
from the console. We have the uCsimm autobooting, so we can get to it via the
network, and won't need the serial port as a console. But we can't change the
CONSOLE environment variable. We've tried from the bootloader prompt and the
bootloader API, and both give the same results. First we tried unsetting the
variable:
setenv CONSOLE (or bsetenv("CONSOLE) from the API)
which does nothing. A printenv still shows CONSOLE=/dev/ttyS0
so we tried
setenv CONSOLE=no
which did not change the value of CONSOLE, but overwrote our AUTOBOOT value with
a "$"

Any ideas? We have ordered Maxim's SPI->UART (MAX3111E) chip so we won't need
the builtin serial port, but now we can't reset the AUTOBOOT variable, which
makes the device a real pain in the neck to use.

One more thing, does anyone know how to make the bootloader initialize the
builtin serial port to speeds other than 9600 baud?

Thanks in advance,
Joel Smith