Re: [uCsimm] A problem from a new user.

From: James Graves (jgraves@deltamobile.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 17:02:26 EST

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, R J McIntyre wrote:

> I recently purchased 2 uCsimm modules and 2 uCgardener kits and have
> installed all the necessry software on my system. I have run through all
> the installation steps and got the uCsimm working with minicom. This is
> where the problem has come up. As I boot the uClinux kernel, all goes well
> up until the initialisation of the CS8900 ethernet device.
>
> At this point, it says the device has been detected, but then I get a
> number of error messages. First, as it gets to the stage where it says
> "Attempting TP" it prints a message alongs the lines of "CS8900: 10
> Base-T, no cable detected". Then it goes into an endless loop where it
> spews out messages like "CS8900: No memory allocated for Tx" and "CS8900:
> IRQ conflict?". I can get the system to boot to a prompt, but I have to
> recompile the uClinux kernel without cs8900 support first, and obviously
> this means I can't mount a NFS drive. I have also tried to fiddle around
> with the networking options
>
> The easy solution, you're probably thinking, is to just attach a cable, as
> the error message suggests. I have, of course, tried this and connected it
> up to my 3Com 3C509B network card but still no joy. I have attempted to
> set up the NFS server properly on my desktop Linux box, but this still
> doesn't help. I am unsure if the problem is with the uCsimm, the uClinux
> kernel, the setup on my desktop PC or maybe something else (a broken 3Com
> card perhaps)?

So this happens with the default kernel that is installed on the
uCsimm board? Hmmm... Do both boards exhibit the exact same
behavior?

When you say you tried to connect it to an Ethernet card, I take it to
mean directly, and not through a hub? In that case, you'd need to use
a crossover cable, not a normal (straight-through) one. Have you
tried to plug it it directly into a hub?

James Graves
Delta Mobile Software