Re: [uCsimm] A problem from a new user.

From: Oguzhan Eris (eris@cooper.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 16:59:32 EST

You didn't exactly specify but what kind of network cable did you connect
the uCsimm to the 3com card. If it was a straight through cable, you
wouldn't be able to connect. You need a crossover cable which is simply a
cable with the transmit/receive twisted pairs reversed on the opposite
ends of the cable.

If you are unsure, chances are it's a normal cable. To connect the uCsimm
with a normal straight through cable, you'd need to attach it to a
hub/switch instead of another network card.

Hope this helps.

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, R J McIntyre wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to both the uCsimm and uClinux, and fairly new to using Linux on
> my desktop PC, but I have been thrown into developing a project using
> these and need to learn quickly.
>
> I recently purchased 2 uCsimm modules and 2 uCgardener kits and have
> installed all the necessry software on my system. I have run through all
> the installation steps and got the uCsimm working with minicom. This is
> where the problem has come up. As I boot the uClinux kernel, all goes well
> up until the initialisation of the CS8900 ethernet device.
>
> At this point, it says the device has been detected, but then I get a
> number of error messages. First, as it gets to the stage where it says
> "Attempting TP" it prints a message alongs the lines of "CS8900: 10
> Base-T, no cable detected". Then it goes into an endless loop where it
> spews out messages like "CS8900: No memory allocated for Tx" and "CS8900:
> IRQ conflict?". I can get the system to boot to a prompt, but I have to
> recompile the uClinux kernel without cs8900 support first, and obviously
> this means I can't mount a NFS drive. I have also tried to fiddle around
> with the networking options
>
> The easy solution, you're probably thinking, is to just attach a cable, as
> the error message suggests. I have, of course, tried this and connected it
> up to my 3Com 3C509B network card but still no joy. I have attempted to
> set up the NFS server properly on my desktop Linux box, but this still
> doesn't help. I am unsure if the problem is with the uCsimm, the uClinux
> kernel, the setup on my desktop PC or maybe something else (a broken 3Com
> card perhaps)?

> Thanks in advance,
> Rory McIntyre

Oguzhan Eris