RE: [uCsimm] starting ppp

From: James Graves (jgraves@deltamobile.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 17:37:18 EST

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Asier Goikoetxea Yanci wrote:

> Well, I'm trying to dialing into the uCsimm, working it as a HTTP Server via
> modem. So I need dialing into uCsimm and start pppd. I get login into uCsimm
> via modem using agetty (ok). I started pppd via null modem and I get to
> browse uCsimm's web pages (ok too). Now I'm trying to start pppd instead of
> login when I dialing into the uCsimm.
>
> To start agetty I issue 'agetty -I 'AT\015' 9600 ttyS0', modem's
> configuration is saved in modem's flash memory.
>
> To start pppd I issue 'pppd passive silent netmask 255.255.255.0
> 192.21.4.1:192.21.4.2' in command line or with respawn in /etc/inittab file.
> I don't have chap script because I don't mind, at the moment, who is
> incoming into a web pages.
>
> How can I convinate now these two in one?. I mean, how can I start
> automaticaly pppd when I'm dialing into the uCsimm instead of login?

Hmmm... Usually, you'll set up a separate user as the PPP dialup
account. Then, instead of a login shell, pppd is run instead. Or
just have 'exec pppd' in the account's .profile.

You'll note that you can log into the system over the serial port, and
then run pppd from the command line without arguments.

The problem with starting pppd from init is that if you don't specify
a tty on pppd's command line, it will try to start the connection on
it's current tty, which is probably not what you want.

I think it is best to require a login and password, and so to use some
kind of getty for pppd.

James Graves
Delta Mobile Software