Re: [uCsimm] net traffic filtering

From: Geoffrey Wossum (gpw0341@omega.uta.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 17:58:45 EST

> Did anybody try to mount a BGA by hand? If I would give a board to production
> with BGA it would cost me about $600 to mount a single chip for a prototype
> board.

I've heard a FOAF (friend of a friend) story about doing a BGA by hand.
They made a board with small, plated through holes at every ball grid
thingy. They then stuck the chip to the top of the board, flipped it
over, and flowed solder into all the plated through holes to get the
connections.

I'm not sure I believe this story, and it still sounds really hard to do
even if it is true. Plus plated through boards don't grow on trees.
Except for this guy. He owns a mill and all the equipment to make boards
himself.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
gwossum@acm.org