Re: [uCsimm] net traffic filtering

From: Daniel Haensse (daniel.haensse@freesurf.ch)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 14:07:48 EST

Am Mit, 17 Jan 2001 schrieben Sie:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, daniel haensse wrote:
>
> > Most of the filtering is done by the ethernet controller (if it is not running
> > in promiscuous mode), since only packets with matching ip destination
> > will be received and afterward processed by the up.
>
> According to the data sheet of the ethernet controller, all the filtering
> it can do is based on the destination Ethernet address, so you can´t
> program it to accept all the packets sent by a particular machine.

Yes, you may put the device in promiscuous mode, but the reception
of a frame itself, does not need up time. If you decide to get the packet out of
the ethernet controller the driver has to copy and process it. I think you can
safe a lot of up time with a early "smart" preprocessing of the frames.

Dani