Re: [uCsimm] net traffic filtering

From: daniel haensse (daniel.haensse@fhk.usz.ch)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 11:27:39 EST

Am Mit, 17 Jan 2001 schrieben Sie:
> [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> >
> > The problem is that the ucsimm is the basis for the project. Somebody in
> > the school bought it last year and now they want (me) to do something with
> > it. So rather than changing the processor we will have to change the
> > project.
> >

> In order to do filtering, you would need to add another interface to
> it. However, I think you could do a proof-of-concept, though it wouldn't
> be able to keep up with a ton of traffic. You could run PPP over the
> serial port, and hook the ethernet up to the network and verify that
> it filters packets as designed. It won't be able to keep up with line
> rate, but it should be able to process packets fast enough that you
> can demonstrate that it does something.
>
> -Matt

I would design some kind of sniffer instead of a router. In this case you
save a lot of cpu load because you don't have to copy every word from one
interface to the other. You can do a lot of statistics with it (I would like
to find who is causing the packet jam at 11:45 and 16:45 every day in our
office) Or you could put two uCSimms together using the unused iopins, this
would also need a nice concept to split the load on the two ups.

Dani