Re: [uCsimm] net traffic filtering

From: daniel haensse (daniel.haensse@fhk.usz.ch)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 08:51:50 EST

Most of the filtering is done by the ethernet controller (if it is not running
in promiscuous mode), since only packets with matching ip destination
will be received and afterward processed by the up. If you want to do some
routing, I would suggest to use a 68vz328 which can
run with up to 33MHz.

dani

Am Mon, 15 Jan 2001 schrieben Sie:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a telecomunication engineering student and currently I am starting a
> project with an ucsimm. The idea is making something about net traffic
> filtering. I am a newbie in Linux so my question is:
>
> Will the ucsimm be able of doing the traffic filtering?
>
> I mean, the ucsimm is running at 16 MHz so, as the Ethernet traffic goes
> at 10 Mbps, it only will be able to execute a few instructions.
>
> As I have said I am a newbie in all this, so I have to say I only know
> that I have to do it using ipfwadm but nothing more, so any sugestions
> about it are welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Jokin

Daniel Haensse