Re: [uCsimm] Dragonball on TV

From: Raj Kumar (rajk@web-ezee.com)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 16:02:42 EST

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have considered using the STV5730A from SGS Thompson - basically an On
Screen Display (OSD) chip. The specs are quite reasonable for text-only
display. The BOB-II display modules are quite impressive - although a bit
expensive to use in quantities.

I am more interested in trying to tweak the built-in LCD controller (on the
Dragonball) to display text (or even bit-mapped graphics) on a TV. I am
looking at a typical resolution of 320x240 pixels (pretty much the maximum
you can get on a standard TV with a composite video signal). The idea of
putting the LCD controller into 4bit mode and using a resistor network
sounds good. 16 shades of colour would be good enough for most appications.

I have not worked with the dragonball yet (I have just ordered for the
uCSimm Kit) and I do not know specific details of programming the LCD
Controller. I wonder if it is possible to control/tweak the LCD timing
enough to realize the HSync and VSync pulses. Even if this is possible at
the register level, how difficult will it be to control it from within
uCLinux ? (p.s : I am a hardware engineer - in the process of getting his
feet wet with uClinux)

I have experience working with video (digital and analog). Generating the
required timing using external logic (FPGA) and dual ported SRAM would not
be too difficult - but then its no big deal - there are dedicated
controllers out there that are far more powerful ! The trick is in making
the Dragonball think its driving an LCD while it is actually driving the TV
screen !

Regards,

Raj