Re: [uCsimm] Fastest way to get communication with a database!

From: Geoffrey Wossum (gpw0341@omega.uta.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 16:15:13 EST

Alex,

> I am the one who ask a question on how to communicate with mySQL server
> last time, actually, the whole project is to getting access with bar-code
> reader(through serial port), ucsimm and the database (througt ethernet
> port). What I need is to achieve this purpose with the most simplest way, is
> anyone had been working on similiar project? Just give me a help so that I
> can make it before the deadline....thx for your help and attention!!

In order to get direct access to the MySQL server, you would need to port
the libmysqlclient to uClinux. I'm not sure whats in that library, but it
might be more work to get it to work on uClinux than you want to do.
Especially since I think libmysqlclient uses shared memory and threads and
other things which act slightly different on uClinux.

My suggesstion is the following: For database access, write a CGI for that
runs on the machine with the database server that acts as a proxy between
the uClinux box and the MySQL box. Writing a simple HTTP client for
uClinux from scratch and writing a Perl or Python script for the CGI is
probably easier than porting libmysqlclient.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
gwossum@acm.org
Project AKO - http://rover1.uta.edu/~ako