Re: [uCsimm] Interrupts and RTLinux

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 13:28:00 EST

"D. Peter Siddons" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I was able to install the RTL patches on my uCsimm, and was
> able to execute the 'parallel' example succesfully. I then tried
> to run the 'frank' example, and failed. The userland application
> reported that the device /dev/rtf0 did not exist. I created the
> device nodes in /dev for rtf0 thro 7 to see if that helped, but
> the result is the same. Anybody succesfully run 'frank' on a
> uCsimm?
>
> Pete Siddons

I don't have that sources, my platform is my own design. I did try out
the RTL patches and found that they are not stable. The uClinux has a
tendancy to silently crash (lockup), it was suggested to me that the
fifo operations within the RTL does not buffer more than one character.
I did experience the crashing due to the patches, fortunately the
customer I was demo-ing the unit for did not notice it.

Not saying that the RTL is unfixable, just that they are not "golden".
I have moved towards using the RTAI style of approach, running uClinux
as a low-priority task to an interrupt driven hardware control layer.
It is not RTAI compatible, but it works for me.