Re: [uCsimm] a fool question

From: Florian G. Pflug (fgp@phlo.org)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 23:16:54 EST

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 09:13:15PM -0500, Tom Walsh wrote:
> "Paredes, Jefferson SECUADO-FNE4" wrote:
> >
> > Is possible port uClinux to 16 bit microcontroller.? maybe Hitachi H8S?,
> > what is the minimun system? how much minimun RAM, ROM is needed?
> >

> In theory, it would be possible, but I don't think that you want to go
> thru the work that you would have to do rewriting the entire code base!
> In practical terms the answer may be no, the kernel image (with a rom
> filesystem) is approx 800K, with about 430K being the kernel itself.
But as far as I remember, the 8086 could address more than 64kBytes of Ram,
although the Rest of the Processor was 16-Bit...

On an Platform where the Address-Bus is also limited to 16 Bits, meaning
only 64KBytes of Ram (without using _really_ dirty Tricks as the Apple ][
did). This seems to be too little memory for uClinux - even _if_ you somehow
get the kernel into those 64KBytes, there will we no space left for
userspace apps, a rom-fs image,....).

Maybe you would be better of if you just take the things you would need from
uClinux (like maybe the TCP-Stack, .....) and put the together in one
monolithic programm).

Greetings, Florian Pflug