Re: [uCsimm] a fool question

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 21:13:15 EST

"Paredes, Jefferson SECUADO-FNE4" wrote:

> Is possible port uClinux to 16 bit microcontroller.? maybe Hitachi H8S?,
> what is the minimun system? how much minimun RAM, ROM is needed?

In theory, it would be possible, but I don't think that you want to go
thru the work that you would have to do rewriting the entire code base!
In practical terms the answer may be no, the kernel image (with a rom
filesystem) is approx 800K, with about 430K being the kernel itself.

However, Jeff Dionne mentioned that the uClinux was a port from an 8086
version of linux, so it may be possible to do (see excerpted message
below).