Re: [uCsimm] ARM port

From: Erwin Authried (eauth@softsys.co.at)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 17:23:58 EST

There seem to be some problems with the current ARM port from
cvs.uclinux.org. At startup, the EBI control registers are initialized with
FLASH_MEM_BASE and DRAM_BASE. Those values are used as the flash and ram
base adress as well. When this code works, then just because of the fact
that the remap is commented out in the code. I think that it doesn't make
sense to use config_ebi at all. The EBI should be configured in the
bootloader, otherwise the kernel startup code can never be executed. My
kernel is based on Joe deBlaquiere's Net+Arm port, Lineo's version doesn't
include Net+Arm support, I believe. My version includes MTD support, I'm
using a read-only MTD block device driver instead of blkmem.c to access the
romdisk. I think that's nicer than building all the board-dependent stuff
into blkmem.c. On the other hand, several improvements have been made in the
Lineo version.I think it would be very important to have a rather up-to-date
offical kernel source for *all* architectures, otherwise the development
will drift apart even more, making it more difficult to merge all the
versions together.

-Erwin