RE: [uCsimm] Compact Flash, wiring for IDE

From: Paredes, Jefferson SECUADO-FNE4 (JEFFERSON.J.PAREDES@SECUADO.SHELL.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 11:16:51 EST

Tom

Watch this

Jefferson Paredes C.
Infrastructure & Comm.
Tel: +593 4 448783
Shell Ecuador S.A.
Calle 9na Y Av. Domingo Comin
Guayaquil, Ecuador P.O.Box 09-1-654
jefferson.j.paredes@secuado.shell.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Walsh [mailto:tom@cyberiansoftware.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 15:44
To: ucsimm@uClinux.com
Subject: Re: [uCsimm] Compact Flash, wiring for IDE

"Paredes, Jefferson SECUADO-FNE4" wrote:

> Tom.
>
> Do you want Use and IDE device in 8 bit mode?

Both 8 & 16, I plan to toggle the chipselect mode on the DragonBall to
switch between byte & word access. Byte mode for the registers 1-7 and
word mode for the data register (reg 0).

> The IDE indentify command return info in word mode only, later you can set
> the TRANSFER MODE in 8 bits, may be you can try making arrangement with
TTL
> logic to read 16 bit in 2 read cycles.
>
> if ucSimm donīsupport DMA transfer, then you may use the IDE device in PIO
> mode.

Well... I am not using a uCsimm, but the processor is a DragonBall EZ
part, see: 'http://www.openhardware.net/ez328lcd/'. I asked for info on
this list as there are a number of Embedded Systems Developers that are
using Motorola chips in their designs. The approach that I am taking,
making the CF a subsytem on the bus, would not be possible with a uCsimm
(the address & data bus do not come off the card).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201175142/o/qid=976208689/sr=8-1/ref
> =aps_sr_b_1_3/103-8230364-2114213

I am getting reasonable results, finally, I had to hardware byte-swap
the data bus and now there is at least a device responding at that
address (I can store info into registers and read it back). The CF is
reporting a General Error after RESET (perform strobe of the RESET line,
then read register 1). I trashed the partition table on it when I was
trying to get it running, I attempted to repartition to type 6 (FAT16)
and did a mkdosfs on it from my linux laptop. The laptop seems to be
able to read the CF file system, but when I insert the card the pcmcia
cardmanager reports a drive, then reports status errors on that drive.
I will go out and purchase another CF card and see how that one works
(maybe the partition table is bad in mine).

TomW

> excuse me my poor english
>
> Regards
>
> Jefferson Paredes C.