Re: [uCsimm] cs8900 & wait-states

From: Jason Harris (jasonh@sj.symbol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 14:34:55 EST

>There's another possibility to improve speed for the first hardware release with
>software byte swapping: Instead of the rol.w instructions, simple byte moves
>will improve the block transfer speed by ~30%.

Not sure I understand this. The 16 bit interface to the CS8900A is byte reversed in
hardware (examine the schematic). This means that the commands sent to the device
have to be byte reversed wrt the values in the data sheet, but when it comes to
receiving and transmitting packet buffers we can do 16bit reads and writes without
worrying about byte ordering. So- How do you get a 30% improvement in packet transfer
times?

Jason H.

Jason T. Harris
Director Voice Systems