Re: [uCsimm] linux/uClinux emulator

From: sticke_m (sticke_m@informatik.fh-hamburg.de)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 17:16:21 EST

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Zhang Hong-W17904 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody know that if there is linux/uClinux emulator
> available? I think the best and efficient way to learn is to trace the
> kernel source code step by step.

You can use gdb. The Gnu Debuger has a simulator for several cpu's.

But If you want to trace the kernel step by step you have much work to do.
What is it you whant to learn? I think the most efficient way is to ask
others that have more experience and to carefully listen to what they say
and show you. You must not know anything about the linux kernel. You can't
know anything. And traceing assembler code is not usefull for learning how
Linux works. On the other hand you should do another thing: coding coding
coding. It's learning by doing. Do it step by step, but in another way.
For example look at the driver interface. How does the driver interface to
the userspace work and then code a driver that uses it. After that look
how interrupts under linux work and write some code that uses it. You can
use a switch on the ACK line of the parallel port with it. Then look at
dma, memory mapping (phys. 2 virt.) ....

Ask your questions.

Michael
  michael@cubic.org