Re: [uCsimm] serial port use

From: Claudio Duffini (Radames@sacrocuore.it)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 02:13:59 EST

"D. Peter Siddons" wrote:

> I have an application in which I need to use the serial port as
> a simple serial port, not as the system console. Is there a way
> to re-assign the serial port in such a way that all of the boot
> messages etc don't show up, and so that it can be opened as a
> regular file (i.e. /dev/ttyS0) from a program? Of course, one
> has to be able to break in to do bootloader stuff when something
> needs fixing......

Hi Peter

the answer is .... yes and no :)

You CAN use the serial port for comm stuff. Simply don't launch
the getty disabling it in the /etc/inittab file, and the ttyS0 device
is free for your application.

You CAN eliminate the ton of kernel messages modifying the file
related to the 68328 serial driver
(uClinux/linux/drivers/char/68328serial.c)
disabling the console_print_68328 function AND the wakeup of driver
about ^P and ^R "magic" characters.

You CAN'T completely eliminate the messages on boot. The bootloader
will show *always* its startup message, and this is a fact of life :)

HTH

Claudio Duffini