Re: [uCsimm] SNMP agent

From: Tom Walsh (tom@openhardware.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 14:46:18 EST

David wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Has anybody ported an SNMP agent to the uCsimm?. I have tried with "smash" and
> cmu-snmp, but none of them have worked.
>
> Making several changes to the original code of the default agent that comes
> with the smash distribution, I almost made it run, I could see all variables
> except sysUpTime, sysContact and sysName. Somewhere there must be a pointer
> that overrides variable values and makes the program hang. I could not find out
> where.
>
> With cmu-snmp, I tried to compile the default snmpd with m68k-pic-coff-gcc and
> I always get an error that I can't understand:
> /opt/uClinux/m68k-pic-coff/bin/gld: cannot open scrt0.o: No such file or
> directory

Check the Makefile for the snmpd sources and see what files are being
linked. Usually, the 'crt0.o' is the startup / shutdown code unique to
the o/s you are building against. For example, m68k-pic-coff-gcc
compiled files are linked against
'/opt/uClinux/m68k-pic-coff/lib/crt0.o', this is the libc startup code.

I suspect that this will not be the only problem that you will run into
in getting an snmp daemon constructed. Although libc has been rewritten
to run uClinux, it is a subset (no fork, questionable threading) of the
mainstream libc used in the MMU (Memory Management Unit) capable
platforms (ARM7x0, x86, Sparc, Alpha, etc.).