RE: [uCsimm] uCsimm based projects

From: Reynolds, Alfred (Alfred.Reynolds@dsto.defence.gov.au)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 20:01:47 EDT

You may have noticed the defence part of my email addr, what I developed is
for a military phone. These phones have a digital 16kb/s output (some weird
line coding tho, urgh). Now, for bits I can't get into detail but here is a
"wavy the hands" overview.

phone -> wire -> demod to 16kb/s 4 wire (tx,tx clk, rx, rx clk) -> PIC (via
port B and port D) -> rs232 on pic -> ucsimm -> ethernet.

The system is duplex. The pic is the hard edge of the system where a small
(70 byte) buffer exists, and the ucsimm works at a packet level (70 byte
chunks).
My pcb design is such that the demod part is on another board so it would be
easy to say plug an adc in that could make a 64kb/sec sampling rate into the
system (rs232 line speed is 115k). You could also use the adc part of the
pic I guess too.
This design is robust to anything but the ugliest of ethernet networks :)
Only problem is that the ucsimm doesn't make it cheap :(