Re: [uCsimm] Connecting an EG9013 to the uCsimm

From: Tom Walsh (tom@openhardware.net)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 03:41:03 EDT

> Richard Laxton wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using the schematic from the FAQ to connect my EG9013 LCD to my
> uCsimm but I am having a little trouble. The schematic has something
> labelled DPC0105 on it. It is something to do with generating the Vee
> signal of the LCD. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any
> reference in the whole world for this component. I have searched
> Farnell, google.com, altavista and I find no references.

Yes, not to be found on planet Earth... That device appears to be some
kind of DC-DC convertor of unknown manufacture (or pull from a
laptop?). I ended up using a Linear Technologies LT1372HV step-up
switching regulator to produce the 30 some volts to power the LCD. Look
at: 'http://www.openhardware.net/ez328simm/drawings/cpu328m2.jpg' for
the schematic of the 35volt supply. There are probably other step-up
devices available, but this was the one I selected from Linear.

> Anyone out there care to comment? Also, Farnell have the connector for
> the LCD but it will end up costing about AU$25 (about US$0.03 ;-)
> seriously about US$13) to make the cable. Is this reasonable?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice,
>
> Richard.

I used a Molex 52044-1245. This is a 1.25mm FPC connector with a
thru-hole PCB solder connection. I took a flat ribbon cable and
soldered the individual wires to the connector, then mounted a 0.1" pin
center IDC header onto the ribbon cable. Like you, I was frustrated in
my attempts to locate a proper connector, I finally sampled one from
Molex.