Re: [uCsimm] eth circuits: are there 100mbit circuits too?

From: Patrick Stingley (stingley@cpcug.org)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 13:35:07 EDT

This is a good question and one that I have debated at length elsewhere. I
would have to think that a 100Mbps ethernet controller would have to deal
with a blocked state if the CPU is busy doing something else. Similarly, I
would think that the CPU would deal with traffic from an ethernet interface
in an interrupt-driven fashion. So, it shouldn't matter if the CPU isn't
very fast, the ethernet interface should go into blocked mode and either
buffer packets or NAK them and wait for the processor.

I'm not a EE, but merely a lowly computer scientist, so hopefully one of
the wire twisters in our midst will step up to the plate and shed some
light on this subject.

Best regards,

Pat Stingley