Re: [uCsimm] BOA and CGIs

From: Larry Doolittle (ldoolitt@recycle.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 12:11:31 EDT

David et al -

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:53:47AM +0200, David wrote:
> Hi everybody. I am new in the list and a beginner in developping over uCsimm.
> The board seems to work fine, but I can't make CGIs work. I have been reading
> doubts about it.

I'm a maintainer of Boa, and reader of the list, but I don't have a
uCsimm. I have heard (but can not confirm) that the uCsimm implementation
of fork/exec, while oddball, is good enough for CGIs to work under Boa.

> Some of you mentioned the boa.conf file. Where exactly must be located that
> file. I understand that it must be in /etc/ directory, but I have tried and it
> doesn't work.

boa-0.92 uses SERVER_ROOT/conf/boa.conf, where SERVER_ROOT is given in
defines.h as "/usr/local/boa". boa-0.94 uses SERVER_ROOT/boa.conf, where
SERVER_ROOT is given in boa.h as "/etc/boa". In both cases, you can
either change the value in the .h file and recompile, or override the
value of SERVER_ROOT with the -c switch on the command line.

Some people on this list have hacked Boa to have its configuration set
at compile time, and not use a boa.conf file at all. This reduces the
size of the executable file. I don't have a link to that hack, sorry.

> I also downloaded the last version of BOA from boa.org and compiling it I get
> an executable "boa". Is this the file that must be configured with inetd to
> receive the web calls instead of httpd?.

Boa should not be run from inetd. It is supposed to be run once at boot.
It will daemon itself, just like inetd. That master Boa process takes
care of all static page accesses itself, and forks/execs as needed to
handle CGI requests.

I can answer Boa-specific questions. If someone is desperate enough about
giving Boa more thorough testing or customization on uCsimm, you are welcome
to donate or loan a uCsimm to me -- I'd be happy to play with it at home :-)

Right now the embedded system I'm play^H^H^H^Hworking with at my day job
is a Bright Star Engineering nanoEngine. http://www.brightstareng.com/arm
Pricier than the uCsimm, but a whole lot more capable.

     - Larry