Re: [uCsimm] ucLinux Compact Flash Adapter

From: Johan Severeyns (js@idcs.be)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 05:40:25 EDT

Hi Glenn,

Glenn West wrote:

> Hi All
>
> In the process of doing a CF/IDE adapter.
>
> Followng is the specs:
>
> Same formfactor as ucsimm (Taller to accomadate the CF Plug)
> Use SPI interface to 68EZ/VZ
> Allow up to 4 SIMM per SPI/ucsimm (4 CF or 4 IDE interfaces - Mix or match)
> 1 Type2 Compact Flash Socket
> 1 IDE 40/44 Pin Connector
>
> I'll get the DOS FS up and running as well.

> Any special requests?

So, you are going to use the CF in true-ide mode.
In that case, a hardware (no, not software, since that can always be hacked into)
write protect switch/jumper would be very handy to protect data or
boot image/filesystem. The filesystem should become hacker-proof that way.

Secondly, are you going to do direct writing or use a cache ?
Take into account power losses or deliberate power-down can cause
filesystem corruption.
How about Axis' (if I recall correctly) Journalling Flash file system ?

> The IC for doing the interfacing can also be available.

Best Regards,

--
 Johan Severeyns
 R&D Engineer, Network Administrator