Re: [uCsimm] uCdimm (multiple) soon.

From: Craig Peacock (Craig.Peacock@senet.com.au)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 22:13:22 EDT

Jeff,

Great to hear of a 144 Pin DIMM coming soon. Work is after a uCSimm,
thus we may wait off in preference to the DIMM. There are things like
Digital Camera I.C's which while the uCSimm is more than happy to
handle, the reading of data on the individual ports is cumbersome,
not to mention slow. I would suggest there is a range of applications
similar to this which can be mapped to memory.

What will the "uCgardener" board for the uCDIMM look like? Just a
suggestion - could we see a few little peripherals tacked on it? I
brought the uCgardener board as a quick start, evaluation type board.
It would be good to say have a serial ADC on board with a POT and a
couple of LEDs. The DIMM could come out the box with a simple CGI
Script which could read the position and toggle the LED's. Some type
of breakout (IDC) on maybe PORTD or LCD would be good during
prototyping even if header is not supplied, but can be soldered in
later. I don't know if I would do the bus, though.

As you and your marketing people would know, if you can pull something
out the box and have a little demo running in a couple of minutes, it
more likely to be of interest than something which takes hours to
configure. I had no trouble with the software or network configuration,
although spent a little time trying to get a HTTPd running with scripts,
(quickly went to BOA) and hardware just to get it to do something
slightly impressive.

Also on the uCGardener board, a slightly better (Rugged) power supply
might be good, if not only in the interest of protecting the customers
investment. I found both the -ve negative and the small voltage range
limiting, ending up with a bench power supply just to power the thing. A
small bridge and adequate reg, plus dumping the 6.3v cap is all that
is needed. Once again, I spent a bit of messing around as everything I
had was center +ve and of about 9 to 12volts. It just helps to get it up
and running faster and is where you earn your points with the marketing
people.

A part from these slight problems, I'm overly happy with the module. I
have very little problems getting it to do what I want to. The software
has been easy to adapt.

Regards,

Craig Peacock