RE: [uCsimm] Why was the 68000 bus not exposed

From: Rafael (raffi@linwin.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 13:41:54 EDT

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Richard Laxton wrote:

> Ah, the MachZ www.zflinux.com. A very impressive looking chip indeed. Fairly

That's the one. What I would like to have is a "168 pin standard" for use
with easily available sockets that hold the PCB firmly in place and can be
stackable close together like memory.

Cost of the PCB edge connector is minimal. A more or less pasive backplane
could be used to connect the peripherals together. An adapter could be
made to use ISA cards for the development.

Not sure if PCI bus would fit in 168 pins but ISA bus and many IO ports
like USB etc would.

> inexpensive as well. The only things that it does not have is LCD/Graphics

I think the single unit goes for about $85.

> and Ethernet but these can be added pretty easily I am sure. Ethernet is
> very easy, graphics would be a matter of choosing an appropriate controller
> or just using an off the shelf PCI VGA card during development.

Video output is not always needed. RS232 or USB might be enough.

> Anyone interested in a group designed and built system?

Count me in.

We would need to get of this mailing list not to disrupt regular
ucsimm activity.

> Richard.

   O__ ---- Rafael Skodlar
  c/ /'_ --- Linux Imagineer since 1994
 (*) \(*) -- There is a tunnel at the end of light.