[uCsimm] Interfacing and ATA or ATAPI device to the UCSimm

From: Richard Laxton (richardl@chaosmusic.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 06:10:08 EDT

Excuse me if this has been asked before but I was wondering whether anyone
had successfully interfaced either an ATA (IDE) hard disk or ATAPI CD-ROM
drive to the uCSimm. I can see that there are not enough pins to do it
directly. I had considered using a PIC to drive the HDD in the same way that
the mp3 player at www.mp3ar.com does. This seems a little excessive. Are
there any IDE chipsets that could be interfaced to the 8 bit bus that comes
out of the uCSimm? So far my research has only discovered the chips that are
used in the drives themselves, not the other way around.

I am after enough performance to pull data from a HDD to play MP3s. The CPU
will not be doing the MP3 decoding though rather I will use an external MPEG
decoder chip.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Richard.