Re: [uCsimm] CS8900 Chip Selection

From: Sebastian Andersson (bofh@diegeekdie.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 02:32:19 EDT

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 10:31:09PM -0400, Steffen Plotner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a simple question about the choice of the CS8900 LAN chip: the linux
> software driver has to process any and all incoming packets once it receives
> an interrupt. If you don't process all packets, you will not get
> interrupted again.

Can it not be polled? Process at most X frames per irq and at some
time later (after the next scheduler call?) poll the device and
continue the processing. By lowering X you get lower network
performance, while more time for CPU processing things (like handling
data from the real time tasks).

/Sebastian