Re: [uCsimm] KVM on a uCsimm ?

From: Jason P. Garforth (jpg@janus.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 15:13:54 EDT

Hi,

Following Jeffs advice, I've finally managed to port Sun's KVM to a uCsimm
including storage (file access) and networking - socket/datagram/serversocket
and a test http implementation). The only serious problem seems to be with the
uClinux implementation of 'fread' - its there in the libs but no prototype
exists and it seems to have a problem being called twice - reading from two
files at the same time. Other than fixing a few dozen lines of C and Sun's Java,
no major issues to report.

> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:45:29 -0000
> To: ucsimm@uclinux.com
> Subject: Re: [uCsimm] KVM on a uCsimm ?
> From: "D. Jeff Dionne" <jeff@lineo.ca>
>
> "Jason P. Garforth" <jpg@janus.demon.co.uk> said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone managed to get Sun's KVM compiled for the uCsimm. I can
> > compile the thing for Linux/Palm with patches from kvmworld.com but using
>
> Using the precompiled (i386) objects in the distribution for size info...
>
> jeff@TumblerSnapper:~/J2ME-CLDC/kvm/VmLinux/build/obj_g > for i in *.o ; do
> size
> $i ; done
> text data bss dec hex filename
> 123135 52564 0 175699 2ae53 ROMjavaUnix.o

-DROMIZING=0 prevents the classes being linked to the executable.

> 5821 0 65536 71357 116bd storage.o

Removed the code for the PalmDB to fix the bss problem.

> text data bss dec hex filename
> 4141 12 100 4253 109d storagePrim.o
> text data bss dec hex filename
> 5650 4 4 5658 161a thread.o
> text data bss dec hex filename
> 18793 0 0 18793 4969 verifier.o
>
> 1. Move the stuff in ROMjavaUnix.o somewhere. It's likely class
> libs, I would guess, you can load them at run time if so.
>
> 2. Dump the native graphics (which will not compile anyway)
>
> 3. Figure out why storage.o needs 64k of bss. Allocate dynamic or make
> 16k
>
> And you should not have a size problem.
>

> > I've applied the -fPIC patches but still no joy :-(
>
> These will be required, it looks about 2-3 times too big .text size.
>

> > All the best,
> >
> > JasON...
> >
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > email: jpg@janus.demon.co.uk ;-)
> > WWW1: http://www.janus.demon.co.uk/
> >

> > This message resent by the ucsimm@uclinux.com list server
> http://www.uClinux.com/
> >

> --
> D. Jeff Dionne Jeff@lineo.ca
> -VP Research and Development, Office of the CTO
>
> Lineo - Put Linux Anywhere

http://www.uClinux.com/

Cheers,

JasON...