Re: [uCsimm] uclinux boot problem

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 01:39:43 EDT

Miles Lott wrote:

> My first guess is that since you are not using a hub that you need a
> crossover cable...
>
> Richard Sevenich wrote:
>
> > I have just obtained a ucsimm (with uCgardener) and am trying to get
> > it
> > running.
> >
> > Currently, I have established serial communication with the ucsimm
> > and can use the bootloader cli.
> >
> > However, when I issue the 'go' command, the uclinux boot process on
> > the
> > ucsimm gets caught in a loop as follows:
> > * the boot process finds the ethernet interface OK, but then claims
> > there is no cable.

This still sounds like some problem with the driver code not erroring
out on X number of retries. I just ported the smc9194 (LAN9000
chipsets) over to EZ328 based uClinux and did not experience the
problems that have been reported with the uCcs8900 driver. The worst
thing that happens if the ethernet cable is not plugged in is that the
nfs mount takes some time to fail, but no error messages are generated
and the system continues to boot normally, albiet without the nfs volume
available...

Perhaps someone should look into the driver code to see where the
problem lies?

How about it Jeff? I could look into it if I had a loaner system, at
least would be willing to tackle it.

TomW