Re: [uCsimm] Any PCB design software ... which is GNU or freeware.

From: Geoffrey Wossum (gpw0341@omega.uta.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 12:03:39 EDT

Don,

> For the time , I will just stick to Cadsoft free version. But I do find it hard
> to find the components I needed in its library...

We found almost all of the components we needed in contributed libraries
on the Cadsoft site, including the PIC16F877.

We also had a bunch of oddball RJ-11 PCB mount jacks that weren't quite
the dimensions of the AMP jacks. One of the guys I worked with made a
library for those, and said it was pretty easy.

Here's a hint about the autorouter. The autorouter defaults won't work
with surface mount IC's because the grid is too large, and it'll claim the
pins aren't reachable. Decrease the grid size and it'll work. Took us a
while to figure out why those pins weren't reachable...

---
Geoffrey Wossum
gwossum@acm.org
Project AKO - http://rover1.uta.edu/~ako