Re: [uCsimm] Any PCB design software ... which is GNU or freeware.

From: Larry Doolittle (
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 18:51:58 EDT

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 03:43:26PM -0600, Micah Dowty wrote:
> I don't expect I'll need a PCB any time soon, but when I do I'll find some
> place that takes an open file format.
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Larry Doolittle wrote:
> > pcb has no import/export routines, but since it's GPL, that
> > could be fixed for any documented format.

Oh, dear. I see I said something confusing.

Of course, pcb-1.6.3 (master site
) _does_ spit the final layout to a Gerber (RS-274X) file,
so you can have it fabricated. Preview via PostScript is
also in there.

What is _not_ in that program (yet) is a way to import or
export a board layout in formats that other pcb layout software
deals with. If someone understood EDIF, I imagine that's the
first format to try. File interchange of this nature has a
long history of losing details, since the feature set that
comes through (on a good day) is smallest of the following:
   software A
   software A's export routine
   interchange "standard"
   software B's import routine
   software B
pcb's native file format is ascii, with documentation.

     - Larry
This message resent by the list server