Re: [uCsimm] Any PCB design software ... which is GNU or freeware.

From: Micah Dowty (micah@homesoftware.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 17:43:26 EDT

That sounds pretty good, and I'm all for using a different package.
I've tried eagle cad before, and PCB sounds good. (especially because it's
GPL)

I don't expect I'll need a PCB any time soon, but when I do I'll find some
place that takes an open file format.

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Larry Doolittle wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 01:38:41PM -0600, Micah Dowty wrote:
> > I have used expresspcb, but I wouldn't reccomend it. They're service is
> > OK, but i have problems with their software:
> >
> > * Only handles english units (really tricky to lay out QFPs)
> > * Doesn't import/export designs
> > * I have to run it under VMware
>
> The pcb package I mentioned is also an "english units only"
> program (everything is in "mils"). Since it's GPL'd, though,
> and all footprints are really macros, I wrote a generic QFP
> footprint that has the pitch given in units of 0.1 micron,
> allowing pad placement with no cumulative error in both metric
> english. That's part of the patch kit on recycle.
>
> pcb has no import/export routines, but since it's GPL, that
> could be fixed for any documented format. And of course,
> you don't have to run it under VMware. :-)
>
> - Larry Doolittle <LRDoolittle@lbl.gov>

>From the command line of Micah Dowty

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds." - Linus