Re: [uCsimm] Any PCB design software ... which is GNU or freeware.

From: Larry Doolittle (ldoolitt@recycle.lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 16:56:56 EDT

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 01:38:41PM -0600, Micah Dowty wrote:
> I have used expresspcb, but I wouldn't reccomend it. They're service is
> OK, but i have problems with their software:
>
> * Only handles english units (really tricky to lay out QFPs)
> * Doesn't import/export designs
> * I have to run it under VMware

The pcb package I mentioned is also an "english units only"
program (everything is in "mils"). Since it's GPL'd, though,
and all footprints are really macros, I wrote a generic QFP
footprint that has the pitch given in units of 0.1 micron,
allowing pad placement with no cumulative error in both metric
english. That's part of the patch kit on recycle.

pcb has no import/export routines, but since it's GPL, that
could be fixed for any documented format. And of course,
you don't have to run it under VMware. :-)

      - Larry Doolittle <LRDoolittle@lbl.gov>